Friday, March 27, 2009

Miracle in March


Had the good fortune to see Ms. Maya Angelou in person at Saint Sabina Church on the South Side of Chicago tonight.

It was an amazing experience to watch her dressed in gold, at her golden age. She was funny, witty and sprinkling wisdom on the audience at will. She sang, recited poems and told personal stories. What an inspiration to see what a person can become. Despite that I have read her books through the years, I looked her up on Wikipedia before the event just to refresh my memories.

I was in awe of what this woman embodied. What an interesting life. There must be a screenplay written somewhere about her life. Who would play her? Hmmm, perhaps no better choice than one of her proud daughters, Oprah Winfrey.


Unfortunately, Ms. Angelou did not wish to have her photo taken close up or give any autographs. Out of respect, no one pressed the request. It was an honor to shake her hand. Speaking to her directly, eyeball-to-eyeball, was priceless.


This is a Miracle in March. When I got the ticket, I was told that it would be very crowded. It was expected to have standing room only in a church that seats 1,200. I was prepared to bring along my binoculars. Then a surprising email from my good friend Harry informed me that he had arranged for a VIP ticket. I was able to sit up front and meet Ms. Angelou in person afterwards. What an memorable evening for me. Miracles do happen.

Thank you, Harry, thank you !!!

No comments: