Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Two Kinds

Since the very beginning, I was asked over and over again, how I created my paintings. It was something that people never seen before. Back 20 years ago when I first start showing my work, there was no Giclee or any color printer that could possibly print up a 36 by 40 inches image. The viewers are often puzzled. Curious. Excited. The patrons were delighted. Even now, the viewers with keen eyes could always tell a Giclee from the original. Hence, I coined the term Painting On Water™ to describe how I created my work. Back in 1989. 

There are two kings of people when they first hear the term. 

The first group, sine they are unfamiliar with the concept, assume that I speak bad English and what I mean is Water Color. They walk away, shaking their heads, assuming that they just heard an interesting Chinese translation of the term Water Color.

For the other group who cared to listen well and dare to ask,  I always compliment them on passing the active listening skill test. And what an open mind they have. So in many countless occasions, I am blessed with the attentive ladies and gentlemen who are eager to know more about the new ancient art, the subject, the intention, the process, the technique, etc. etc. They end up learning a lot more about an unique nearly lost art, the wisdom of the Asian philosophy, the magic of science application and walk away richer in their being.

Eventually, this led to my speaking engagement for larger audience. Will talk more about the speaking path in another time.

And they want more.

Many are interested on how, when and why I do this. I will out my thoughts down here, in hope of inspiring others to be innovative and facing the rapid change in the course of life. Take a step, give a try, make a statement, and create your very own Painting On Water™ someday.

For update on details and dates of public workshop, see the blog on Painting On Water: http://PaintingOnWater.blogspot.com/

No comments: